Unfortunately, many couples have had to postpone or even cancel their wedding as a result of the Covid 19 pandemic, some of whom have already applied for and received their marriage licences.
It is possible to apply for a marriage licence refund:
Marriage licences are valid until the date of expiry, that being 3 months from the date of issue. If couples want to postpone their wedding as a result of the pandemic, there are options:
- Delay having the marriage, but not later than when the marriage licence expires. This is in the hope that the situation has improved within 3 months.
- If the couple plan to get married after their licence expires, they can apply for a refund now. If approved, the refund will include the licence fee and the marriage certificate, if ordered.
- Couples can request a refund by emailing [email protected] with the subject heading “Request for marriage licence refund”. In the body of the email include:
• Reason for refund e.g. unable to enter the country.
• Both partners’ full names and contact details (e.g., email, phone number etc.)
Discover how to mark your special day that has been cancelled or postponed due to Covid 19